Saturday, May 14 between 11 am and 4 pm
Join us in the garden (rain location: Parish Hall)
Visit St. John’s during the 2022 Open House Celebration of World Fair Trade Day with Chicago Fair Trade on Sat. May 14 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Jerome McDonnel, former host of Worldview on National Public Radio and fair trade supporter, will be doing a bike ride to 3 of these fair trade stops on the north side of Chicago – one of them being St. John’s!
St. John’s open house stop will feature
– Indigenous Columbian art from Tulia’s Artisan Gallery
– Land Acknowledgment (2:15 pm)
– Conversation between Jerome McDonnel and Karen Torres, CEO of Tulia’s Gallery (2:30 pm)
– Clothing Swap – bring an item – take an item
– Fair Trade Trivia Prize Wheel
– Eco Tours of our campus
– Fair trade coffee and tea
More about Open House Chicago around Chicago and suburbs…
Each May, World Fair Trade Day is celebrated by tens of thousands of people in dozens of countries. For fifteen years, Chicago Fair Trade has organized the largest World Fair Trade Day in the U.S.
On Saturday, May 14, Chicago Fair Trade’s member businesses, organizations and allies are hosting multiple events throughout the city to showcase how they support economic and environmental justice. As an attendee you will receive a virtual passport to use when checking in at different sites and if you check in at three or more, you’ll be entered to win a fair trade raffle (over $200 in value!). Proposed itineraries will be neighborhood-based for easy access and an interactive map listing all participating locales will be available on our website.
Here is a sneak peak of some of the day’s activities:
- Kick-off event hosted by Jerome McDonnell at Metropolis Cafe in Avondale
- A fair trade sample sale at Sobremesa’s warehouse in West Garfield Park
- Fair trade cocktails and tours at local indie designer Production Mode in Pilsen
- Studio tours and weaving demos at the Weaving Mill in Humboldt Park
- Shopping, shopping and more shopping at the Andersonville Galleria, Union Handmade, Embellish, and Eco & the Flamingo
- Suburban locations include Glen Ellyn, Oak Park, and Evanston
Join our growing network of conscious consumers and show your commitment to building a better, more just and equitable world. We hope you are able to join us on this celebratory day!